Tuesday, July 19, 2011

You Can Stop Laughing at Me Now

Why hello there! First, I want to say that I have come to accept my unfaithfulness to this blog. Every time, I promise to be better and post more often, but then things happen; classes, moving, deciding to make a milkshake instead of writing, going to Africa.....

Yes, I have returned from my travels bearing many stories both big and small, filled with both joy and sorrow. Feel free to grab a coffee or tea and enjoy them; they were no easy task to write.

As this summer has progressed and the beating rays of the sun prevent me from stepping outside, I have revisited several of my old and favorite friends (by "friends", I mean books of course. You see, bloggers don't actually have friends. It's a myth). Created by my favorite I'm-Trying-Not-To-Make-You-My-Idol author, C.S. Lewis, the Narnia series has been a consistent favorite of mine.....

Stop laughing at me. Stop it.

As a child, the adventure and excitement captivated me and now, well, the adventure and excitement captivates me. But also, as I read them now, I pick up on things that Lewis meant not only for an addition to the story, or a simple dialogue, but also a profound insight. Suddenly, small comments have become sermons in my eyes and simple character interaction has become correlations to the spiritual realm.

For example (and I will explain this as best as I can, though it would be much more understandable had you read it), in the sixth book of the series, The Silver Chair, Aslan is speaking to one of the main characters, Jill, about the task which he had called her from our world and into Narnia to accomplish. She tells him he is mistaken in saying he called her since she had called on him to be brought into Narnia. To this, Aslan says, "You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you".

And then it hit me.

Most of us go through our lives as Christians believing that we are the ones who have called to God. We called to him for help, for an escape, etc and He answered us. This is true. But we're missing a part; we forget that He called to us first, before we even knew to call. His song which called us was the same song which flung the stars into motion and the same song which is in every note which the creek sings in my back yard. It's the same song which sways our cornfields and floats on the backs of hundreds of butterflies. This song is the song which God calls us to Himself with. It calls to us in its own sort or magic to enter into His world. He has been calling the whole time.....

And that, my friend, is one of my insights from my beloved Narnia "friends".



You can stop laughing at me now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, here's the cool thing-he chose us, check out this scripture from the New Living Translation, it gets me excited: Ephesians 1:4:
4 Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. It's not about us, we are not smart enough to choose him, he's got our back.

: