Sunday, January 22, 2012

1.22.12

Hello! If you are reading this, you have probably (and accurately) guessed that today is our day of prayer and fasting here at All Things Considered. If you have no idea what I'm talking about and I have sparked your curiosity, I talked about it here.

As I said, on this day of January 22, the 39th anniversary of the ruling of the supreme court that pronounced abortion as legal, we are fasting for the repentance of America and of our communities and that God will turn our hearts from darkness. We will pray that we will cultivate an attitude of love and grace for these mothers who plan to, or have already had abortions and that we will no longer stand by, pleading ignorance, but will somehow be involved in stopping abortion.


God hates abortion. We know that by now, right? Though the mother of that child may not want him, and the father of that child may not want him, and the abortionist seeking his life certainly doesn't want him, God desperately wants that baby. Seeing His baby dismembered (suction abortion), burned inside and out (saline abortion), or beheaded (partial birth abortion) breaks His heart. That baby's body, life, and future were intricately planned by his heavenly father who created him with exhilaration and excitement.
You don't mess with a child of God. The same is true for the rich, the poor, the loved, the "unwanted", the joyful, the broken, the orphans, the widows, with you, with me, and with children who have yet to breathe their first breath. Don't you dare try to harm one of God's kids. He loves them to death. And therefore, commands us to do the same.  You may say, "Sarah, good for you that God has given you such a passion, but stopping abortion just isn't my thing". To this I would say, pray. Pray that God will cause you to love the unborn with all your heart and I promise you He will. If you ask to have His heart, He will give it. And He will probably give you more than you initially wanted.



What does actively stopping abortion look like? I'm not 100% sure (I know it involves praying and fasting and a lot of loving, but that can sound rather vague). I do, however, know what it does not look like. It does not look like standing outside of a clinic and shouting curses at the expectant mothers. It does not look like judgement from us to them. It does not look like bitter looks or bitter hearts. 
Remember what I said about messing with God's children? It applies to the mothers as well. He loves them passionately and cherishes their hearts. It breaks his heart to see what they endure and He gladly offers His ocean of grace to them. And therefore, commands us to do the same. He commands us to be full of understanding and love. Yes, abortion is wrong, horrible, and morbid. But if you have never sinned, feel free to place your judgement. HoweverJesus, who hasn't sinned, will not place judgement on a contrite heart.






Now back to prayer and fasting (forgive me, I tend to step on my soap box too easily). If you are fasting and interceding with me today, I want you to know how thankful I am for your support (though I know it's not for me) and how I hope and pray that you are more blessed by this than you even expected to be and that God reveals more of His heart to you. If you are not fasting, I would ask you to pray as well whenever you can. He loves it when His children seek Him, especially on behalf of others! 


Before I close, I would like to ask a question. Should we have regular days of community prayer and fasting here at All Things Considered? And if your answer is yes, then what should we fast and pray about next? Something other than abortion? Do you have anything you're dealing with? Do you have an issue on your heart? A family matter?  Let me know your thoughts in the comments :)


May you have a wonderful day!


(Oh, P.S. You should totally check out Gianna Jessen, a survivor of a saline abortion. Her story and what she has to say is incredible!)

No comments: