Wednesday, May 26, 2010

5.27.10

And so summer begins, my friend. We all feel it. The air, thick enough to serve on a plate. The sun, bright and hot enough to burn our retinas. But ah, the activities. The end of school is impending. The beach beckons. And so summer begins.

I spent my saturday out on the lake boating, tubing, and accumulating a painful sunburn, which - thanks to my cherokee ancestors - will soon be a tan. My weekend was carefree, spent laughing with friends and actually enjoying Florida. Imagine that. :)

I've spent some time in my mind thinking of the letter in Revelation to the church of Laodicia, the lukewarm church. Jesus declares to them that He will spit them out of his mouth. How He wishes they would at least be known for something! They aren't known for heat, nor coolness. They are lukewarm.

Don't you hate lukewarm things?

I love drinking water. But it has to be ice-cold. Anything less is....well, just nasty. I prefer it to be icy and refreshing.

I love showers. But they have to be hot. Anything less is disappointing. If the water isn't on the verge of scalding my skin, something's wrong.

Drink lukewarm water. Most will spit it out and get some fresh water. Take a lukewarm shower. Most will wait for the hot water to come back.

Jesus says the same. Care or don't, but choose a side. Indifference is frustrating.

But what causes a person to be lukewarm? I mean, surely it doesn't happen overnight. Correct, it doesn't. Apathy is not overnight, just as growth and passion isn't. It's a series of choices. Not one big one. Well, maybe I'll read my Bible later. I'm beat.....Yeah, so what if it's been a few days since I've prayed? I can do that anytime......Come on, I just want to fit in. No one else really worships anyway.
Ever notice a wedge? It's tiny at the tip. But wide at the base. If there's a wedge between you and God, you won't probably notice the tip. It's tiny. And it's such a subtle ride to the base, not many notice. But somehow, they slowly, slowly, slowly become apathetic. They get nice and comfortable. They forget what a passionate person God is. They soon and subconsciously believe that God is as indifferent as they are.
But He's not. He isn't even slightly indifferent to whether you or I are close to Him. He runs after us, hoping we'll see how He loves us.

We think the little things, the little everyday decisions don't matter, but they do. Little things are important. Little things can slowly take us further from God or bring us back. Little things are life and death, they separate the cold from the war, the apathetic from the passionate.

4 comments:

Lori at JOY Unspeakable said...

Wow Sarah, what an amazing post. Love your wedge analogy. That's a perfect example of how our distance from the Lord starts out teen tiny and slowly it turns into a big gap. Then we wonder where God went. But He's still there. As always. WE are the far ones.

Love your heart, friend!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.